Thursday, April 12, 2007

What Will My Child Have to Wear?

The following is a summary of Metro's uniform policy as it stands right now. It is currently under revision. See the entire policy here.

• Shirts must have collars and be solid white, navy blue, or one of four additional solid colors designated by each school

• Straight-leg or boot-cut pants; cropped pants; straight-legged capri pants—all of dress or casual-dress style (e.g., Dockers) in the colors of navy blue, black, or khaki

• Dresses must have a collar and be of a solid, approved color

• No blouses or shirts without buttons along the front opening

• T-shirts may be worn beneath polos but must be solid white, navy blue, or an approved solid color (with no writing)

• Clothing with belt loops must be worn with a belt

• Blazers, suit jackets, vest, sweaters, and cardigans must be in an approved color and must be worn over a shirt or dress with a collar

• No denim jeans or hooded sweatshirts

• Blouses and shirts must be tucked

• Clothing logos or manufacturer trademarks must be no larger than two inches

• All clothing must be hemmed—no drawstrings, cut-offs, or rolled-up cuffs

4 comments:

Ray and Wendy said...

We will not comply.

Unknown said...

The dress code shows an extreme religious bias in so far as it is identical to to those used in Christian church-based Sunday Schools. (No mention is made whether the color/pattern policy applies to hijabs for muslim students, either)
We find the favoring of one religious culture over all others in public schools reprehensible and unconstitutional.
We not only refuse to comply, we'd like some legal action as well.

Lynny B said...

I'm HFA student, my parents are forcing me to comply (and I will be as obnoxious as I can while I do it, as in the craziest socks I can find) I wish the school board would respect the beliefs of the students and parents it serves.

I'm wondering why they would even pass a policy that is so greatly opposed? The only people I know who are for it are (sadly) related to me. It's kinda depressing in a way.

Moon said...

Not one kid in our school dresses this way. Why make such a drastic change? Kids who are not comfortable in their clothes are going to be unable to concentrate on their studies, as I recall very well from my own experiences. Besides the fact that we don't want or need the government telling us what to wear every day. For those parents that voted for this policy: I guarantee that by the end of the year you will be sick of seeing your kids in these clothes! Besides, the kids will have to change out of the uniforms after school and it's going to double the laundry for parents and double the energy and water usage as well. It's just a bad idea all around. I will not participate in any school fundraisers this year to protest this and I urge other parents to speak up and refuse to participate as well.